Sofa beds are popular pieces of furniture. They are found in hotels, houses, and rentals everywhere around the world. They are convenient objects that can alter the amount of space available for relaxing inside of a home. How exactly do these incredible pieces work?
In this guide, we will discuss the basics of a sofa bed, from price to practicality. We will also go into the mechanics of the sofa bed, keeping you well-informed on this excellent household item and how it operates in a home setting. This guide may help you decide whether or not you would like to invest in this item for yourself.
What Is a Sofa Bed?
Before we get into the details of the inner workings of a sofa bed, it is crucial to understand what it is. This piece of furniture is a sofa that folds out into a bed. It serves multiple purposes at once.
In simple terms, a sofa bed has the ability to:
- Fold into a bed: A sofa bed can fold into a bed. It can come in any size, from twin to king.
- Transform into a couch: This piece of furniture can transform right back into a sofa. It is indistinguishable from an actual sofa.
- Condense furniture into one: The sofa bed acts as a space saver by pushing the sofa and bed into one. This piece is ideal in tiny homes or guest bedrooms that serve other purposes.
Sofa beds are loved all around the world. They are an alternative and trendy piece that provides practical use for those who choose to invest in them.
Average Cost of a Sofa Bed
A sofa bed is, on average, a little more expensive than the typical sofa. This cost is to be anticipated since it is a unique combination of sofa and bed. This item is, however, a little cheaper than a regular mattress and boxspring duo.
According to sleep.org, a sofa bed costs more than the average version of either the sofa or bed. This tends to come in at over a thousand. This isn’t cheap. However, there are circumstances in which this is absolutely the best option.
Is it Cheaper to Invest in a Sofa Bed?
If you are furnishing a room, investing in a sofa bed is cheaper if you were intending on buying both a sofa and a bed. For a guest room, it can be a great way to save money and create a multi-functional space.
Overall, sofa beds are a good investment for you if:
- You live in a small space: A sofa bed can fold up. If you live in a small space, this can help you make the most of it.
- You try to maximize empty areas: Even if you have a large home, you might want to make the most out of the rooms you have. A sofa bed can accomplish this and make bedrooms out of spaces that are also gathering areas.
- You want furniture, but also want to save money: A sofa bed is two things combined into one. If you want to save money, you can buy this rather than getting a sofa and a bed individually.
Whether this piece of furniture is cheaper or not is truly reliant on what you intend to use it for. Make sure you do research and plan before investing in one. If you will only use it as a sofa, it might cost less to just purchase a nice sofa.
How Does a Sofa Bed Work?
Now that we have gone over what a sofa bed is and the typical price points are for the product, we can dive into how the product itself works.
Many different components work to make this item a whole unit. Three specific pieces are the most important. There are also many variations between those three separate parts that are critical when learning about the sofa bed.
Parts of a Sofa Bed
There are many moving parts within a sofa bed. Each works with the other to ensure a product that will fold back and forth from the sofa to a place in which a human being can sleep.
We will go over the various parts of a sofa bed in depth. Each of them is important in its way.
The sofa is the main component of the sofa bed. It’s what everything folds back into, and what your company will see first when they walk into your home.
The sofa portions can come in a variety of shapes and colors. The only requirement is that it must fit a bed frame inside of whatever form it comes in.
The mattress is the base for the sleeping area of the sofa bed. It is important to invest in a quality mattress so that it won’t sink into the frame as time goes on.
The mattress typically folds in half, so it must be small and flexible. There are many cost-effective choices when selecting a mattress for a sofa bed. Some of the best online include the:
- Milliard Memory Foam Mattress
- DynastyMattress Memory Foam Mattress
- Leggett and Platt AirDream Mattress
All of these are excellent choices for a mattress that will fit snugly inside a sofa bed. The final is an air mattress, which will need to be inflated upon use but can be compressed much more and inflate to a greater thickness than a normal sofa bed mattress.
The mechanism inside a sofa bed is what allows a simple piece of furniture to transform into something extraordinary. There are a variety of clever versions of this part that hide the bed portion in different ways.
The mechanism can vary from simple to complicated. However, they’re typically very simple and are easy for anyone to figure out.
Types of Sofa Bed Mechanisms
A mechanism within the sofa bed is what makes it unique. This is what allows the mattress to fold in and out of the sofa.
There are a couple of different styles of sofa beds. They all use different mechanisms to operate, ranging in levels of complication. None are too difficult to understand for the average user.
Pull Out Sofa Bed
The pull-out is a very simple form of sofa bed. There can be mechanisms involved in this style, or it can be as simple as a pull and tug from the user.
The two types of pull-out sofa beds are:
- Sliding pull-out sofa bed: This type of pull-out sofa places the mattress on a set of wheels. These slide on top of a metal grate to allow the mattress to slide out easily. It can be replaced just as easily.
- Pull-based sofa bed: This is a simpler version of the pull-out bed on wheels. The mattress lies underneath the sofa. By using a handle or a knob, the user can pull the bed out from underneath the couch. They put it back by pushing it back under.
The mechanism involved in a pull-out bed is very simple. They’re easy to understand, so when something goes wrong it may not be difficult to spot what needs repair.
Easy Open Sofa Bed
The easy-open bed is a little more complicated in the way it operates. The easy-open sofa bed involves a foldable metal support system, which serves as the bed frame. The mattress folds inside of this system and makes up the seating area of the couch.
A user can form a bed from the easy-open sofa bed by following a few easy steps:
- Remove the sofa cushions: The user must first remove the sofa cushions from the couch. This will reveal the bed structure hidden underneath.
- Pull the frame loose: Then, the frame must be gently pulled upwards to break loose from the sofa shape. This frame is made out of lightweight metal that is sturdy enough for support but light enough to be movable.
- Unfold the frame: The frame can then be unfolded into the shape of a bed. The mattress should come with this.
- Unfold the legs: The legs of the bed portion should be folded up against the frame. These can now be unfolded and placed against the floor.
- Latch the legs: The legs can then be fastened into place so that they don’t collapse underneath the sleeper.
The bed at this point is ready to be made up for company or whoever is spending the evening on it. This style of fold-up frame is a little more in-depth, but it’s very easy to hide. Putting it back simply involves unmaking the bed, folding it back up, and placing the cushions on top.
Click-Clack Sofa Bed
The click-clack sofa bed is a less common version of this piece of furniture. It’s the simplest form of them all, with mechanics that can be understood and used by almost anyone. The click clack sofa bed is also the most affordable of them.
A click-clack sofa bed looks like a normal couch. The front and the back pieces are very flat cushions, attached with a snapping hinge. This allows the back of the couch to be snapped into a flat position, providing a bed-like surface that can be topped with blankets and pillows.
It’s simple for someone to use the mechanisms on the click-clack sofa bed. The back can be pushed down until a click is heard, which means that it’s locked into place. When a couch is needed again, the back can be lifted until a click is heard. It’s that simple. The process can be repeated as many times as is needed.
Can You Put a Regular Mattress on a Sofa Bed?
You might be wondering if you could just place a regular mattress on top of a sofa bed. The simple answer is yes. However, there are many things to consider if you are going to go about this route:
- It should only be temporary: Using a regular mattress should only be a temporary fix. It’s better to invest in a sofa bed mattress to keep the product in proper shape than to reuse an old mattress and damage the furniture.
- It can damage the frame: A regular mattress is a lot heavier than a typical sofa bed mattress. The lightweight frame might not be able to handle the extra bulk along with a person on top.
- It must be the same size or smaller: The mattress must be the same size or smaller than the size of the sofa bed. Otherwise, there is no way it’ll fit.
- It might foster bugs and mold: Sofa bed mattresses are intended to circulate air since they are folded up inside of a sofa. A mattress is much thicker. If left on for too long, air might not circulate, and bugs or growth may invade the sofa area hidden beneath.
A regular mattress can be used, but if there’s a way to avoid it that would be best. It isn’t the best decision for your sofa bed, and it could end up damaging it in the long run.
Can You Swap Out Parts?
The easiest part to swap out on a sofa bed is the mattress. This is also the item on this piece of furniture that needs to be replaced the most often.
The mattress can be removed by:
- Pulling the frame or support system out of the sofa
- Stripping the mattress off of the frame
- Refolding the frame back into the couch
The mattress should then be disposed of at a proper location. It should not be reused, as sweat and other items have been collected in it over a short period. A new mattress can be added on top of the frame in the same way that the old one was taken off.
Locations a Sofa Bed Can Be Placed
This piece of furniture can be placed in many areas of a room. Since it has a fold-out mechanism, it is important to keep that in mind when deciding on a location for the sofa bed.
Some of the best places inside a standard home include:
- Inside a living room: A sofa bed can easily sit in as a regular sofa when space isn’t needed. Then, when guests arrive, a coffee table can quickly be moved to provide space for the bed to fold out.
- Inside a bedroom: In a guest bedroom, or even a normal bedroom, a sofa bed can be used to make the space great for many purposes.
- Inside a small apartment: A sofa bed can be a great solution for those inside apartments with a small amount of space They can be folded and unfolded to maximize space for guests and other visitors.
Although these are great locations, the placement of a sofa bed relies on the layout of each home. Only the person who owns the home and the sofa bed can determine the best location in their own living space.
The Usefulness of a Sofa Bed
A sofa bed can prove to be very useful. Thanks to the folding and unfolding mechanics, this device allows for space to be saved and used whenever necessary.
As mentioned earlier in the article, a sofa bed can:
- Save space: By folding into itself, the sofa bed saves a lot of space in the typical living area.
- Save money: This piece of furniture can act as two types of furniture. Rather than investing in them both, you might invest in just this one.
- Save time: Rather than moving from room to room or worrying about where to place a couch and a bed, this solves both of those issues.
There are a ton of reasons why a sofa bed can be and is useful. Space and money that they save with their simple mechanics are truly one of a kind and unique.
Competitors of the Sofa Bed
Many different types of beds exist as an alternative to the normal bed. Many of these are in direct competition with the sofa bed.
Although these alternatives are easy to use, they can’t come close to the ease of access and comfort that the sofa bed provides. Its intricacy and unique nature beat out the others every time.
Sleeper Bed Versus Sofa Bed
A variation of the sofa bed that exists on the market is the sleeper bed. This is another common piece of furniture in many households. It’s just as useful as a sofa bed, but it operates in a completely different manner.
The sleeper bed:
- Does not use a mattress: The sleeper bed doesn’t use a mattress in its design. Instead, it uses a cushioned surface as its source of comfort.
- Folds up and down: Instead of a mattress that comes in and out of the couch, a sleeper bed simply folds up and down to provide a flat surface.
- Costs less: Since a sleeper bed has fewer moving parts, it costs a lot less than a sofa bed.
The sleeper bed doesn’t have any mechanics, other than hinges that allow the arms of the bed to fold up and down. Because of this, it costs less but lacks the comfort of a mattress that the sofa bed has.
Air Mattress Versus Sofa Bed
An air mattress is a classic in terms of creating extra space for guests and family inside a home. It’s simple to work. All you need to do is:
- Plug it in: An air pump will attach to a small opening on the side of the air mattress. It should snap.
- Blow it up: The user simply needs to turn it on, and the mattress will then inflate.
- Repeat: This can be repeated as many times as necessary throughout the visit.
Unfortunately for the air mattress, it’s wildly uncomfortable. These items tend to deflate in the middle of the night. The sleeper will wake up on the ground, and either must fall back asleep or reinflate their air mattress.
This isn’t ideal, though it may suffice for a short visit. Though the sofa bed is much more comfortable, an air mattress is a lot more affordable. It might be the better choice for college students and those who are saving for something more important than a couch in the future.
Pull-Out Bed Versus Sofa Bed
A pull-out bed is a lot like a pull-out couch. The difference is that, instead of having a sofa as the base, a bed is. It’s pulling a bed out from beneath a bed, much like a floor-based bunk bed system.
This is not as cool as the sofa bed because:
- It’s only one form of furniture: Rather than combining two different pieces of furniture, the pull-out bed is just one. This means that it can only really serve one purpose rather than two.
- It’s more expensive: It’s a bed within a bed. This makes the price a little higher than that of a sofa bed.
- It’s not as practical: A full-size mattress is normally used inside a pull-out bed. This makes it a little bit bigger than the pull-out sofa bed.
The pull-out bed is great to have in places such as a child’s bedroom, where more than one small person may be occupying the same space. They’re awesome for sleepovers and other related events. However, they can’t operate as casual lounging areas in the same way that a sofa bed can.
Repairing a Sofa Bed
Thanks to the sofa bed’s simple mechanics, they can last a very long time. Some malfunctions can still happen as the piece experiences wear and tear over the years. The most common damage involved the middle of the bed. Slats can fall out of place, and the mattress can sag and sink. This can drastically affect the comfort of the furniture.
A fix for this can involve one of these few options:
- Placing wooden slats beneath the mattress: Wood slats can be an excellent alternative for metal framing. Simply attach a few in the broken areas and replace the mattress.
- Replacing the metal: Repair bars can be inserted to replace the broken or overused ones.
- Discarding the bed: Sometimes, the frame is irreparable. It may be time to get rid of it and invest in a brand-new one. In some sofa beds, you might be able to replace the frame without getting rid of the entire piece.
These repairs should have your unique sofa bed back to normal in no time. Or you can go shopping for a brand-new piece that will spice up your home.
Some repairmen can fix a sofa bed. Most of the time, however, it should be easy enough to make the fixes on your own.
Do Sofa Beds Cause Back Pain?
Sofa beds have been known to cause back pain in everyone from kids to adults in the years that they have existed. Nearly everyone is familiar with the pain a poor night’s sleep in a box spring can cause. Are the ones on the market still like that?
Sofa beds have improved drastically over the years, in everything from comfort to style. The once uncomfortable mattress has shifted to one almost as great as a normal bed. Sofa beds have improved themselves in two big ways:
- Introducing memory foam mattresses: In previous years, the most common form of a mattress on a sofa bed was full of uncomfortable springs and lumps. Now, you can use a more comfortable memory foam mattress.
- Adding structural support to prevent sagging: Additional bars and linings have been attached to the frame to prevent sagging and breakage for as long as possible.
Although back pain might still occur, the risk and severity have dropped as the sofa bed design has gotten more advanced. Sofa beds now provide a level of comfort and relaxation that can rival even the comfiest of king-sized beds and the plushest of sofas.
Preventing Back Pain
To prevent back pain, make sure that you invest in a memory foam mattress instead of one that has springs. Or, if your back prefers a hard surface over a soft, invest in a spring-based mattress. There are options for both, no matter what your preference is.
Some excellent spring mattresses that are for sale online include:
Both of these options are great if you need strong back support. You don’t want your spine to give way under the softness of memory foam if that’s your issue.
Some great memory foam mattresses that you can find online include:
These will provide a level of softness that contradicts previous experiences on the hard, rough surface of a sofa bed mattress. The softness of memory foam will lead to a good night’s sleep and avoid the sore muscles and tired eyes that typically come with a sofa bed.
Both of these, no matter what you choose, will offer a great solution to sofa bed woes. If you haven’t slept on one in a while, it can’t hurt to try again. The mechanics have changed to provide an excellent sleeping experience for all.
There are different types of sofa beds that have varying levels of difficulty when it comes down to their mechanics. However, as long as you know how to use your type of sofa bed, you can have a comfortable place to sit during the day and an even cozier place to sleep at night.