If you think about an accent wall, it is usually a darker color than the rest of the walls in the room. A dark accent wall does exactly as its name suggests; it accentuates a specific wall as a color feature in the room. But what if you want to paint it a lighter shade? Can an accent wall be a lighter color?
An accent wall can be a lighter color but lacks the wow factor of a darker one. However, applying different painting techniques, textures, alternative materials, and patterns to a lighter accent wall can make it come alive and stand out just as well as a darker accent wall.
Are you contemplating whether to paint your access wall a lighter color but unsure if it can work? Well, you have come to the best place for answers! This article will discuss whether an accent wall can be a lighter color and how to make it stand out.
Table of Contents
How To Make An Accent Wall A Lighter Color
Light accent walls brighten dark rooms and make the room appear more spacious. Making an accent wall a lighter shade is possible, but whether it looks appealing is another concern. Luckily, a lighter accent wall can make a statement in many ways.
Deciding whether you want to compliment the room colors or create complete contrast is important, in which case texture will be useful. Pairing like with like gives a room a subtler, more relaxed feel, whereas contrasting adds more dynamic energy.
Some light paint shades have a metallic tint that will draw attention, but if you have a matte finish paint, the accent might become lost in translation. Not to worry, we have some brilliant ideas on how you can make a lighter accent wall pop!
Add Some Texture To A Light-Colored Accent Wall
Think beyond paint by exploring some fun textures. Texture gives an extra dimension to a light accent wall, and there are countless ways to do it, such as;
- Flat Plaster Paddle – Apply paint to your walls with a flat plaster paddle instead of a brush to create a three-dimensional look.
- Pattern Wallpaper – Light wallpaper with a pattern in a different light shade adds a touch to your style and makes the wall stand out.
- Neutral Tiles – Add an extra dimension to the wall.
- Embossed Wallpaper – Applying light white, light grey, or soft metallic embossed wallpaper screams sophistication, and the light color won’t fade into the background.
- Textured Paint – Make your textured paint by adding powdered texture additives before applying it to the wall.
- Exposed Brick Wall – Painting an exposed brick wall light grey or white gives a room an urban-industrial vibe.
Related: Best Curtains to Go with White Walls
For inspiration, view the stunning textured accent walls:
Texture Painted Accent Wall
Light Pattern Wallpaper Accent Wall
Neutral Tile Accent Wall
White Embossed Wallpaper Accent Wall
White-Washed Exposed Brick Accent Wall
Make A Light Wooden Accent Wall
Using wood to create a lighter accent wall allows you to invent something unique. You can create your wooden accent wall in various ways, including;
- Weathered or aged wooded planks arranged in straight horizontal lines.
- Cover the accent wall with textural and weathered driftwood blocks (4″ x 4″).
- Weathered wood walls are arranged in geometrical diagonal patterns to create a chic, rustic look and feel.
- Washed-out, shabby wood planks are arranged vertically or horizontally on the accent wall, with each plank painted a different light color such as white-wash, light grey, off-white, milky mint, and sky blue.
- White-washed disassembled pallet wood is arranged vertically on the wall for a rustic look and feel.
- Lightly stained wood panels.
View the gorgeous wooden accent wall ideas:
Wooden Pattern Design Accent Wall
White-Washed Wood Plank Accent Wall
Rustic White-Washed Wooden Panel Accent Wall
Light Grey Chevron Pattern Wood Accent Wall
White-Grey Chevron Wooden Accent Wall
Weathered Wooden Block Accent Wall
Multi-Colored Wooden Planks Accent Wall
Install Wall Murals As An Accent Wall
Install a light mural as an accent wall. Many light murals exist, such as tranquil beaches, oceans, or other nature scenes. Here are some examples of beautiful light murals that will turn your room into an oasis:
Marble Effect Wall Mural
Beach & Ocean Wall Mural
Tranquil Island Wall Mural
Peaceful Beach Wallpaper
Up In The Clouds Wall Mural
Birds In The Trees Wall Mural
3D Tree Of Life Wall Mural
3D White Flower Wall Mural
Create A Light Polished Concrete Accent Wall
A light polished concrete accent wall is perfect for a contemporary, industrial, or urban home. It has a certain elegance with a rugged touch that will look beautiful in a room with plenty of colors. It will give the space a peaceful element.
Light Polished Concrete Accent Wall 1
Light Polished Concrete Accent Wall 2
Light Polished Concrete Accent Wall 3
Store-Bought Textured Paint
Some paint manufacturers have created textured paint that is ready to use. These magnificent paints add texture to your walls without you having to apply them in a certain way. You must apply the paint to the wall with the manumanufacturer’s recommended brush or roller.
To find out more about these textured paints, click on the links below;
There you have it! An accent wall can be a lighter color. Lighter accent walls can make just as big a statement (if not more) as a dark accent wall. It is all about finding a light shade to complement the rest of the room while creating contrast.
There are endlessly beautiful and creative ways to make a light access wall the main feature of a room as long as something special makes it catch attention. We hope these creative ideas have inspired you to create your light accent wall. Happy decorating!