If you’re on the lookout for some new bedroom furniture, you’re probably wondering what you should and shouldn’t buy. One of the big questions anyone renovating their bedroom considers is whether a dresser or a chest of drawers is better for storing clothes.
Due to its versatile nature, a dresser is best because you don’t only have to store clothes in it. You can store make-up, jewelry, or even household items in addition to clothes. You can also use it to get dressed at or as a showstopping media center.
That’s not to say a chest of drawers is a bad thing at all. It just comes down to your individual needs.
What is the Purpose of a Dresser?
Dressers are wider than a chest of drawers. They don’t have as much height, and this can give them a more stylish look. Let’s take a look at some of the benefits of a dresser:
- More surface space: This gives a lot more space on the top of the unit to put your belongings.
- You can have a mirror: Many put mirrors on the dresser because their height allows for it. This is great if you don’t have another mirror in your bedroom because you can try out your looks before even leaving the room.
- Use the Top as a TV unit: If a bigger TV is on the agenda, then a dresser would be better, thanks to the broader nature of the unit.
- Lots of storage options: While dressers typically come with plenty of drawers, they could come complete with a cupboard. It all comes down to individual needs. Even if you’ve stored all your clothing, you could use the cupboard for other household items.
- Use it in other rooms: If you want to move your dresser into another room, they can make for a stylish sideboard.
- Store make-up: A major benefit is that you can have different-sized drawers. Many use these smaller drawers for make-up and jewelry, meaning you can have an all-in-one solution for everything you need.
What is the Purpose of a Chest of Drawers?
A chest of drawers is narrower than a dresser, but it can still pack in a lot of storage space. The number of drawers varies, but don’t be surprised to find between three to six drawers with a lot of room in them.
A chest of drawers is usually a part of a bedroom package, but it can come down to choosing either the dresser or chest because you probably won’t need the number of drawers that come with them both together. Here are some benefits of a chest:
- Space-saving: Because they are narrower and taller than dressers, they do save some room. This is especially good if you are worried about the size of the bedroom. Bedrooms come in different shapes and sizes.
- Spacious drawers: There’s nothing worse than a big set of drawers without the appropriate space. The beauty of having a lot of space in the drawers is that it’s easier to partition what you want at each part of it. This makes organizing a breeze.
- Room for things on top of the chest: Whether you want to put a TV on top of the chest or keep it simple, there is some space real estate there to allow you to put some things on top of it.
- Stylish to fit any interior: These come in various styles, colors, and configurations, depending on where you purchase them. That allows you to find a particular set for whatever the space.
Above are just a few of the benefits of having a chest of drawers. The bottom line is that they are a great way to save space and keep your room looking tidy. It really comes down to the individual.
Is a Dresser the Same as a Chest of Drawers?
This question gets asked very often, and while they are relatively similar, they both serve different types of people. Both items are primarily used for storage, but the truth is that dressers are the most versatile because you can use them for different things.
A chest of drawers purely for storage, and although there is some surface area above, it’s nowhere near as much as a dresser. It’s always best to consider the following when deciding between a chest of drawers or a dresser:
- Who will be using it? This helps because if it’s only one person, you will be able to make a more relaxed decision.
- What will be stored? If you only plan on storing clothes, a chest of drawers might be best because it will free up the rest of the room. If you’re storing other items in addition to clothing, you would be best with the dresser.
- How big is the room? This is crucial because if you know you need a lot of other items in a small space, a dresser probably wouldn’t be the best use of that space. For example, you would likely get two chests of drawers in the area you would put a dresser. Granted, the overall drawers would be higher, but it is much more storage space.
- Do you want to put a mirror on the drawers? A dresser would be best because a chest of drawers goes taller in height, and the chances are that you wouldn’t be able to see anything if you placed the mirror above the chest of drawers.
- Consider your budget: Chests of drawers typically come in cheaper because they serve one purpose, while a dresser can come at a premium because of the different features.
Can You Have a Chest of Drawers and a Dresser in a Room?
Both dressers and chests of drawers can serve their own purpose, meaning that if you have the space, you could potentially have both pieces of furniture in your room. The best thing to do is think about how many things you have to store and whether it’s beneficial to have both.
You’d be surprised at how many people have both. It all comes down to what you will be storing and whether you want to have excess things hanging around the room, like clothing. You might find that having both will make the room tidier.
People want to relax in comfort, and nothing ruins comfort more than clutter all around the room. So, if you do have the space, you could get both if it would benefit you in the long run.
When Buying Either One, Check for Quality
Dressers and chests of drawers are typically made of wood, but there are different kinds of wood out there, meaning some products feel more premium than others. A lot of things can go wrong with both pieces of furniture due to their nature.
That’s why it’s always best to purchase from reputable sellers. You’re going to want to have a warranty of some sort to make sure you are protected should the furniture suffer from a defect by not working as well as it should.
Check the company you plan to use to ensure they have good customer service and a good returns service. Some companies will offer a brand-new product if it falls within the minimum term.
Pick the Right Bedroom Furniture for Your Needs
If you know your needs before looking into bedroom furniture, you’ll know whether a dresser or chest of drawers is the right move for you. If you have that knowledge, you can focus on the style, color, and what you will put inside.
If you are moving into a new place, always plan in advance. Reputable furniture companies can take weeks to deliver products because they are so popular.